Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Rugby League 2017.

Moderator Peter Craven

Ratings
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    An Australian ref....

In a World Cup Final in Australia...

With Australia in the Final.....

And I thought Speedway was Mickey Mouse. ..
    Did Australia win by any chance?

Belle Vue Heat Leader Chris Morton

Ratings
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    An Australian ref....

In a World Cup Final in Australia...

With Australia in the Final.....

And I thought Speedway was Mickey Mouse. ..
    The Australians organised this World Cup, and didn't do a brilliant job as some of the attendances signified. As far as referees were concerned their was an appointments panel of Tony Archer (Australian referees controller), Steve Ganson (England) and a New Zealander named Watts, who always backs the Aussies. Archer never wanted neutral referees and would always get the support of Watts, whatever Steve Ganson's opinion. It was stupid not to have neutral referees, but Archer was never going to be over-ruled. The World Cup in 2013 was a great financial success and very well organised in all aspects on and off the field. The main credit for this was given to a lass named Sally Bolton, who is now working for the Lawn Tennis Association. Sally volunteered to help the Aussies organise this one, but, in their arrogance, the Aussies didn't want the help of a pom, particularly a female pom.

Ratings
    There was certainly no lack of effort on England's part, just a bit of panic at times. I mentioned in post 157 that we would miss Sean O'Loughlin, and I think if he had played we may well have won. In hindsight, we should have taken the two points on offer when we got those penalties in easy goal kicking positions, which I would have done anyway, but, if we'd scored tries instead of making mistakes in the subsequent sets, the decisions would have been correct. If Josh Duggan hadn't ankle tapped Kallum Watkins we'd more than like have scored and, since we had the Aussies on the ropes at that stage, we'd probably have gone on to win. Ifs and buts don't win World Cups, and on the day, Australia were the more composed team and deserved their win.

Ratings
    Is anyone interested in keeping this thread going for the coming season? I would update it for 2018, but I've forgotten how to create a new thread.